Using greywater to irrigate your garden or plants can definitely save you a lot of money from watering using a clean drinking water. However, depending on the content that the greywater carries, it might not be eco-friendly to use it for a longer period of time.
As we already know, untreated greywater contains different chemical compounds from household soaps and laundry detergents. These chemicals can contaminate the soil, thus altering a lot of properties that a healthy soil should have.
However, there are a few cleaning products that are compatible with greywater. By using eco-friendly products in the house, you can safely use your greywater to irrigate your gardens without having to worry about any harmful toxins.
To find cleaning products that are compatible with greywater, look for the ones that are biocompatible or biodegradable. If possible, avoid any products that contain:
- Coloring agents
- Synthetic fragrance
- Boron/borax (sodium borate)
- Petroleum distillate
- Chlorine-based products
- Artificial preservatives
- Anti-bacterial cleaners and soaps
- Parabens-based products (including methyl, ethyl, propyl, and butyl)
- Chromium oxide
- Sodium perborate/peroxygen
Below, we have listed the best 10 greywater compatible cleaning products that you can safely use for your household:
- CLIMATE POSITIVE AND SUSTAINABLE – Not only is this laundry detergent formula effective and kind to sensitive skin, but it’s also biodegradable and pH-balanced.
- 100% VEGAN – Containing enough detergent for 200 loads of laundry, plant-powered ECOS Laundry Detergent is both cruelty-free and vegan, making it an ideal choice for planet-conscious households.
- PARABEN AND PHOSPHATE FREE – Unlike most conventional laundry detergents, ECOS does not contain any harsh chemicals or ingredients that can pollute water when it enters the ecosystem.
ECOS is well-known for their eco-friendly cleaning products. They produce detergents that are free from sulfates, bleach, brighteners and other chemical compounds.
With their 100% vegan formulas, ECOS uses plant-based enzymes to remove stains from your fabrics. Their detergents can also be used in all temperatures for both white and colored shirts.
Unlike other synthetic cleaning agents, ECOS’s products have been formulized to have a balance pH level that won’t cause any harm to the environment.
Puretergent is another natural cleaning product that is greywater-friendly. Produced in Oakland, California, this brand is proud of their biodegradable products that are eco-friendly, effective, and hypoallergenic.
Some of the ingredients that you can found in Puretergent products are essential oils, plant-based conditioners, natural degreasing agents, and botanical surfactants.
Aside from being fragrance-free, they are also hypoallergenic and contain aloe extracts that are suitable for baby, kids, and people with sensitive skins. You can use puretergent both in hot and cold water.
Vaska are eco-friendly, chemical-free cleaning products that have been formulized with natural ingredients derived from herbs. Found in 1999, in Berkeley California, Vaska’s products are certified “natural” by the EPA because they don’t contain toxins, pollutants, dyes, binding agents, and any hazardous chemicals.
Unlike synthetic cleaning agents, you can seamlessly wash out Vaska’s products out of your fabric. Although they are made from herbs, these cleaning products can remove stains, marks, dirt, and odor from your fabric effectively.
What’s more interesting is that Vaska’s name precedes its reputation when the company was a winner in a Clean Choice Award in 2013 and 2014 in Clean Eating Magazine.
4. Oasis All Purpose Cleaner/Dishwash
- Designed for Grey Water systems
- Super Concentrated
- Sodium Free Formula
Oasis’s All Purpose cleaner is one of the biodegradable cleaning that you can use for greywater system. Some biodegradable products clamied that they are eco-friendly but their ingredients contain plant toxins such boron, chlorine, and sodium.
However, Oasis’s products are different from other because they are free from any of these toxins. Aside from dishwashing, this product can also be used for general cleaning, handsoaps, outdoor activities, as well as hand and body soap during travel.
5. FIT Organic
- USDA-certified Organic & Kosher (Orthodox Union) produce wash
- Certified USDA organic product – doesn’t use chemicals
FIT Organic is an eco-friendly brand that are Certified USDA Organic by the Oregon Tilth Company (OTCO). It contains no artificial surfactants and synthetic detergents.
This makes it ideal for people with sensitive skin or anyone that is allergy to surfactants.
The company claims that FIT organic products leave no taste or after smell due to their ingredients that are made mostly from organic plant-based oils and natural minerals.
6. Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castile Liquid Soap
- MADE WITH ORGANIC OILS & CERTIFIED FAIR TRADE INGREDIENTS: Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castile Liquid Soaps are made with over 90% organic ingredients. Over 70% of ingredients are certified fair trade, meaning ethical working conditions & fair prices.
- GOOD FOR YOUR BODY & THE PLANET: Dr. Bronner’s liquid soaps are fully biodegradable & use all-natural, vegan ingredients that pose no threat to the environment. Our products & ingredients are never tested on animals & are cruelty-free.
- NO SYNTHETIC PRESERVATIVES, DETERGENTS, OR FOAMING AGENTS: Our liquid soaps are made with plant-based ingredients you can pronounce—no synthetic preservatives, thickeners, or foaming agents—which is good for the environment & great for your skin!
Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castile liquid soap is an organic, biodegradable soap that removes bacteria and stain without harming your skin or the environment.
This brand was founded in 1948 by Emmanuel Bronner, a German-Jewish soap maker. All the soaps are made from organic and fair trade ingredients. They are also free from any chemicals including foaming agents and synthetic preservatives.
7. Oasis Biocompatible Laundry Detergent
- Designed for Grey Water Systems
- Biodegrades into plant nutrients
- Super concentrated
- Sodium free formula
Similar to Oasis All Purpose cleaner, this product also doesn’t contain any traces of sodium. It has been formulated to be compatible with plants and soil without any plant toxins such boron and chlorine.
This detergent is also the best choice for reusable greywater, septic tanks, and sewer disposal. Although this detergent can biodegrade into plant nutrients, it is still highly concentrated and works effectively to remove stains and dirt. You can use it both in hot and cold water.
8. Everyday Shea
- SHEA BODY WASH. Our EveryDay Shea Body Wash is sulfate-free and clean, handcrafted with neem extract, fair-trade unrefined “raw” shea butter, and virgin coconut oil. Gently cleanses for radiant and renewed skin.
- CLEANSE, NOURISH & PROTECT. Lather up with our ultra-gentle and deeply moisturizing shea body wash. This handcrafted nourishing and nutrient-rich cleanser, softens & revitalizes dull, dry skin. For EveryDay use on normal to very dry skin.
- LAVENDER. A calming and herbaceous aroma with soothing floral notes that create a relaxing and refreshing spa-like shower experience.
Everyday Shea’s products are made from organic and fair trade ingredients. They are sulfate-free and contain different kinds of organic ingredients including lavender oil, butter and coconut oil, neem extract, natural saponifier, and other plant-based materials.
Their products are also paraben-free and less concentrated than other organic products. But they can deliver the same result and effectively remove stains, odor, and dirt.
9. Aubrey Organics
- 98% Organic: Made w/ straight-from-the-leaf aloe certified by The International Aloe Science Council
- Sun-Exposed Skin: Hydrates and soothes stressed or sun-exposed skin
- Face & Body Favorite: Excellent light hydrator for oily or sensitive complexions
- Aubrey Quality: No artificial thickeners, no colors, no fragrances, no parabens, no animal testing
- Customers Say: “This stuff put the fire out immediately without drying my skin out further!”
Since the day it was founded in 1967, Aubrey Organics has been producing a lot of natural and biodegradable beauty, skincare, and cleaning products.
Some of the natural ingredients that you can find in their products are sea buckthorn oil, camellia oil, blue green algae, and rosehip oil. Most of their products are also manufactured in Tampa, Florida.
Soapnuts are one of the eco-friendly products that you can use to replace synthetic soaps or detergents. Also known as the Indian soap berries, they are harvested from the fruits of small tree named Sapindus Mukorossi that is native to the Himalayas.
Soapnuts contain a natural compound called saponin that has the same cleaning properties as soaps. Since they are 100% naturally-made, soapnuts are biodegradable and free from any chemicals. They are also hypoallergenic, odourless, and suitable for people with sensitive skins.
Above all, before purchasing any biodegradable cleaning products, be sure to read the label thoroughly. Some commercial products might claim that they are safe for plants and greywater-friendly. But don’t take everything at a face value until you are sure that they are totally safe.
The best place to buy greywater compatible cleaning products would be at any eco-friendly convenience stores.